Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Building Axiom twice
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:01:06 -0500

> My understanding is this:  there is an Axiom image (interpsys) used at
> compile time; think of as the image the build machine needs to drive
> the compilation.  One of the purpose of such image is for example, to
> build some of the algebra needed to build the installed image.  Once
> that image is built, with database and all of that, a second build
> should be fired up to build the "real" Axiom image.  The one that the
> user really cares about.

The key difference between interpsys (the compile image) and AXIOMsys
(the final user image) is that "warm data" is added to AXIOMsys. A
study I did showed there was a highly skewed distribution of algebra
files which get loaded in any computation (e.g. PositiveInteger is
almost certainly loaded every time). I looked at that distribution
and collected the most frequently loaded algebra files into a list.

interpsys + (the frequent file list loaded) => AXIOMsys

which cuts down on the time it takes to perform computation. It's
one of the dozens of optimizations which make Axiom run reasonably.

Tim