Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Ping: case insensitive filesystems

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Ping: case insensitive filesystems
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:39:39 +0100 (CET)

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> Explainingg why the new code is right implies one needs to understand
> what the old code is doing and why it is wrong.  In that respect, it
> is just as important as the why of new code.

I would say that one of the major sins of Axiom code is that it is
hard to say what the code is doing.  More precisely: I belive that
even designers of Axiom could not tell you what Axiom is doing on
invalid inputs.  And while designers had some idea what is
considered as valid input, Spad compiler accepts without complaint
a lot of garbage.  I belive that in general algebra files give
you better idea about Spad language then the compiler.

So, I belive that if we understand what Spad compiler is doing
with algebra and we implement equivalent functionality in new
compiler we can reasonably scrap the old one.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden