[Axiom-developer] Re: Ping: case insensitive filesystems

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Ping: case insensitive filesystems
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:35:56 +0100 (CET)

> Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

> | > |

> | > Yes.
> | > During the conversion, I thought I agreed with this renaming you
> | > proposed.
> | >

> | I waited for:
> |
> | http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-11/msg00294.html
>
> I agree with the sentiment of not rmoving gloss.text.
>
> Please include explanation in pamphlets so as not to delay patch
> review.
>
> | I tested file renaming from
> |
> | http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2006-11/msg00297.html
> |
> | only with patch 2006-11/msg00294 which removes second copy of 'util.ht'.
> | I think that renaming from 2006-11/msg00297 should work even without
> | 2006-11/msg00294 applied, but I did not test that combination.  Also
> | I having the to compies of 'util.ht' out of sync _may_ cause troubles
> | (I was hit by this).

Sorry, I do not get what you mean:
> Please let separate the patches:

Do you mean that I should test and apply renaming patch without
removing 'util.ht'?  I really do not like this -- that would mean
patching both copies or leaving a potential bug.

>   (1) one for renaming -- contains explanations
>   (2) one for deletiing the redundant file -- also must contain
>       explanation of why.

So you want something like:

: We messed up.  We hade the rule:
:
: <old rule>
:
: We should not try to install two source files into single location,
: so we removed the rule.

I find such "explanation" silly: we have version control and change
logs to keep history.  And does not explain anything about the system
_after_ the fix is applied.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden