Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:10:20 -0500

Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> Sorry, I take that back. Only remove (most of) the (file referencing)
> content.
>
> I am very much in favour of having a central .bib file (or a collection
> of them in a central place), but with actual references to papers and
> books. Even better would be what once was in discussion... Online
> documentation should directly link a reference in text to the actual
> paper if that is somewhere on the internet. But I guess we also care
> about printed versions so a .bib file is not such a bad idea in the end.
> We should however care about uniqe bibkeys, that would avoid
> duplications of entries in axiom.bib.
>
> Maybe some day .bib files go away since there would be a central
> database of references on the internet and one only has to know a unique
> key into that database to extract all relevant information needed for a
> printed version. But up to then .bib files are of some use.

I did some work earlier on the bibliography question and got pretty
close to something I would be happy with, it is still available on my
Axiom portal site:

http://portal.axiom-developer.org/Members/starseeker/axiombibliographysystem.tar.gz/file_view
http://portal.axiom-developer.org/Members/starseeker/axiombibliography.pdf/file_view

I suppose the pdf structuring part is of less interest to most, but I
also was able to use the ToC style files to generate links from the
bibliography to some of the online sources (not all - more work is
needed for sources Axiom would want).

Also, this bib file allows a comments section on each source.  I would
suggest this a a preferable way to have a "literate" bib file - it
remains a valid bib file, can be referenced directly by all documents
without any complications, and can still include comments on the
document by us - which to me should be sort of the best of all possible
worlds.  If it MUST be a pamphlet I would suggest that the noweb part
generate, if possible, the simple file to incorporate the bib file and
explain our conventions, plus the bib file itself.  I doubt any purpose
would be served by adding in the bib entries as "source code" in a
document, but of course I may be wrong.

Cheers,
CY