Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] build-improvements and latex
Date: 07 Nov 2006 22:38:23 +0100

Waldek Hebisch <address@hidden> writes:

| I tried again 'make dvi' in build-improvements. There are still three
| problems:
| 1) typo in 'src/etc/Makefile.pamphlet'
| 2) confusion because Latex prefers 'axiom.sty.tex' in current directory
|    to 'axiom.sty' in search path
| 3) axiom.bib.tex file contains 10 file names with unescaped underscores
|    inside.
|
| I have a patch solving problems 1 and 2 (included below). BTW the patch
| to solve 1 is trival.  I think that we shall agree that trivial patches
| may be commited without review (but still posted to the mailing list).
| Of course we need also agree what trivial means -- the solution to 2
| (since it involves file renaming) is probably slightly beyond trival...
|
| BTW.  I am a bit annoyed because of discrimination of underscores (I like
| them very much), so I am tempted to solve 3 by making underscore into
| an active character, which expands to ordinary underscore outside math
| mode and to subscript char in math mode.

Hi Waldek,

  I'm busy at the moment; but patch for (1) is obviously OK.

  Patch for (2) needs an explanation in the pamphlet as to why
we are renaming.  You explained why in previous mails, but we need the
explanation in the pamphlet, not just in the mail [yes, it shows up
only for in-source build, because LaTeX looks in the current directory
first, but we need those in the pamphlet.  This is an exception to a
general naming scheme so it needs documentation. ]

  For problem (3), I'm awaiting for input from others.

  As for your other tentative patch for checking for openpty, I
believe you're reading in my mind.  I'll comment later. Then, I'll
have to add comments to the fixes to regex issue.  However simple, it
looks, we have to explain in the pamphlets (to people not versed in
system programming), especially the faith of regexp.h and why we must
use <regex.h> and remove the old macro interface.