Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: 03 Nov 2006 03:45:43 +0100

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| There are two active svn branches on SourceForge, build-improvements
| and hersen-algebra-improvements. Both of these were originally
| cloned from svn /trunk. There might be some advantage to retain
| the original svn /trunk until at least the merging of these
| branches into the new svn /silver "trunk" is complete. Again,
| please refer to diagram.

SVK/SVN can do merge across branches, so we should be able -in
principle- to merge existing branches to whatever becomes The trunk.

[...]

| > Here is how I see the situation:

| >             |       |            |           |
| >             |       |        darcs and       |
| >             |    next big =  hg mirrors      |
| >             |    experiment      |           |
| >  gold       |   /                            |
| >  gold <---- |  /                             |
| >  (52)     silver  (SourceForge) <=====> Google Code
| >             |                             mirror
| >             |\___merge___                    |
| >  gold <---- |            \        |          |
| >  (51)       |\__          |       |          |
| >            /    \   back  |   darcs and      |
| >  gold <---|-<----\ .....> / = hg mirrors     |
| >  (50)     /      /  port |        |          |
| >          |      |        |        |          |
| > Now:   silver trunk    build
| >          |      |   improvements
| >         tla     |    /
| >                 |   /
| >                 |  /
| >  gold <------ trunk
| >  (49)           |
| >                CVS

| > SVN /trunk was created to be Silver from which the
| > experimental branches would be branched.
| >
| > > axiom--silver--1 was created to be a pre-gold version of
| > > the system with "early release" of changes so they can be
| > > tested.
| >
| > No. axiom--silver--1 was created to be a mirror of SVN /trunk
| > (now called SVN /silver) so that you would not have to deal
| > with the problems of using SVN.

This clarifiers the terminology for me.