RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 21:23:14 -0500

Gaby and Waldek,

As we discussed last week (see "famous" diagram attached below),
SourceForge svn /silver was created so that we would have an
svn branch automatically maintained in sync with Tim's "official"
tla axiom--silver--1. This is now in place. A Tailor script runs
every night to update svn /silver with Tim's latest patches.

To get this to work, Tailor has to *start* in a state with the
svn branch exactly equal to the tla branch. I could not find any
automatic way to merge the existing svn /trunk with tla
axiom--silver--1, so I let Tailor bootstrap svn /silver directly
from tla axiom--silver--1 as the first step in setting up the
automatic synchronization.

Tim Daly agreed to apply all the patches that are unique to
svn /trunk to axiom--silver--1. These were accurately identified
by Waldek Hebisch in a series of emails last week. Because of the
auto sync, this will effectively merge svn /trunk into svn /silver
(see diagram below). In addition Tim will also continue to merge
any patches that he receives by email (and approves) into tla
axiom--silver--1, whence to svn /silver.

My current proposal is that when Tim's merge of the old svn /trunk
into svn /silver is accomplished, then svn /silver should become the
new official "trunk" and the existing svn /trunk should be deleted.
As I understand it, whether or not we eventually rename svn /silver
to svn /trunk is probably only important to people who care more
about standard svn terminology than either Tim Daly or me. ;)

There are two active svn branches on SourceForge, build-improvements
and hersen-algebra-improvements. Both of these were originally
cloned from svn /trunk. There might be some advantage to retain
the original svn /trunk until at least the merging of these
branches into the new svn /silver "trunk" is complete. Again,
please refer to diagram.

Of course this discussion is not over and I am open to suggestions
as to how to improve the situation.

In any case, please keep in mind that we had previously agreed that
all patches to silver would be sent by email to Tim Daly and that
he would be responsible for review and applying these changes to
axiom--silver--1. That is the route by which patches are supposed
to the new svn /silver "trunk".