RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:21:39 -0500

On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 7:45 PM Waldek Hebisch wrote:

> I am affraid I can not really offer Mac experience. However
> the first Goole hit for: MACOSX pty is:
>
> Mac OS X pty Permission Security Issue
>
> Now, something which does not exits should have no security
> problems, so I would belive that Mac OS X has pty.

Yes you are right. The reference I read earlier was that OSX 10.3
does not have support for posix grantpt... Maybe things have
change in OSX a lot since 10.3.

> OTOH this security problem is solved by Unix 98 pty's (in
> other words Linux /dev/ptmx and /dev/pts), so we can infer
> that Mac OS X has only legacy pty (so you should use BSD
> branch).

What do you mean by "BSD branch"?

> BTW: I you are logged into a Mac OS X machine you can try
> to look is '/dev' directory contains things like '/dev/ptyq0'
> and '/dev/ttyq0' (this is a traditional name for legacy
> pty's).

Yes, I see for example:

ppc-osx3:~/osx $ ls /dev/ptyq*
/dev/ptyq0 /dev/ptyq3 /dev/ptyq6 /dev/ptyq9 /dev/ptyqc /dev/ptyqf
/dev/ptyq1 /dev/ptyq4 /dev/ptyq7 /dev/ptyqa /dev/ptyqd
/dev/ptyq2 /dev/ptyq5 /dev/ptyq8 /dev/ptyqb /dev/ptyqe
ppc-osx3:~/osx $

But when I try to build clef I get:

ppc-osx3:~/osx/axiom.build-improvements/src/clef $ make
gcc ./edible.o
-L/home/users/b/bi/billpage/osx/axiom.build-improvements/src/clef/../../
./src/lib -L/usr/lib -lspad  -lc -o
/home/users/b/bi/billpage/osx/axiom.build-improvements/target/powerpc-ap
ple-darwin6.8/bin/clef
ld: warning table of contents of library:
/home/users/b/bi/billpage/osx/axiom.build-improvements/src/clef/../.././
src/lib/libspad.a not sorted slower link editing will result (use the
ranlib(1) -s option)
ld: Undefined symbols:
_grantpt
_ptsname
_unlockpt

These are all pty external routines.

Maybe it is just that I don't understand that MAC library setup.
>From what else I can get from the web, I should expect to find
these functions in libc (-lc).

Any ideas?