Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: 02 Nov 2006 01:18:29 +0100

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

| On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 6:49 PM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
|
| > | ... Also native MAC OSX10 apparently does not
| > | have support for the pts virtual terminal interface so it is
| > | not possible yet to compile clef (the replacement for readline).
| >
| > I never quite understood why readline needs to be replaced.
| > Do you know?
| >

| I think the foremost reason is that clef (aka. "edible") was part
| of Axiom long before readline existed.

OK; but we should not continue to have clef just for that reason.

| Second, clef does have some Axiom command completions that are not
| built-in to readline but I think readline is also configurable,
| and could provide such functionality, right?

Yes.

| Third, to the best of my knowledge readline is the only part of
| GCL that is licenses as GPL. If readline is disabled, then GCL might
| be considered compatible with Axiom's BSD-style non-copyleft license.
| (I am not sure if this is important to anyone interesting in Axiom
| any more.)

I don't know; that is probably true; I have to read GCL's configuration
options.  But, building Axiom as we currently do, I have

    [18:20]% strings =AXIOMsys | grep rl_
    rl_line_buffer
    rl_instream
    rl_attempted_completion_function
    rl_readline_name
    rl_completion_matches
    rl_completion
    rl_completion_words_new
    rl_ungetc_em_char
    rl_putc_em_line
    rl_line_buffer
    rl_getc_em
    rl_instream
    rl_ungetc_em
    rl_attempted_completion_function
    rl_readline_name
    rl_putc_em
    rl_completion_matches
    rl_getc_em(FILE *);
    rl_completion_matches

| Personally, I would prefer to get rid of clef and adapt readline
| because it would simply the Axiom process tree structure. On the
| other hand, readline can be a pain sometimes when you are trying
| to drive a program through a pipe and/or pty interface... so it
| is desirable also to be able to disable readline also.

We have to investigate that case.