[Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] Windows: where's the documentation?

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] Windows: where's the documentation?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:20:51 +0100

Hello,

On 10/31/2006 12:10 PM, Martin Rubey wrote:
Dear Paul,

So let me refrase my initial question: can somebody convert the hypertex
documentation to a general purpose format which is readable on all platforms?
Candidate formats are:
-pdf
-html
-info

I *STRONGLY* advise you to try something different: install Xming and try to
get Tim Daly to give you instructions on compiling Axiom with HyperTex on
MS-Windows. Possibly Bill Page also can help. If you mangage to get HyperDoc
running and you provide some documentation, I'd propose you for a bounty!

If neither of them does, please send mail again, and I'll try to do something
myself.

Alternatively, if you are keen on programming and know some perl, then maybe
Ralf Hemmecke would be able to show you how to modify his AllProse to get
something similar to HyperDoc. But I guess this is more difficult.

I don't think translating the HyperDoc contents into ALLPROSE is not so easy. And ALLPROSE is probably also not the right way to do it. I guess, you mean AldorDoc. Together with Christian Aistleitner I have agreed upon a few (additional) LaTeX commands to tag type names and function names. That lives basically in aldordoc.sty which is distributed with ALLPROSE. What is still missing is a program AldorDoc, that takes library code and transforms it into a nice format from which .dvi, .pdf, .html etc. could be generated. That program is still missing.

Anyway as a first start, I'd like to ask, where I should look for the sources of the contents of HyperDoc.

Could someone give a rough overview of the process how the content is produced? If I remember correctly there was some format to write hyperdoc pages, but what does that have to do with the API description of functions/domains/categories of Axiom. I guess the latter is generated from the ++ comments in the .spad files, right? Then what is the process from ++ to hyperdoc?

The great thing about hyperdoc is that you can enter a category, say, for
example, Ring, then press on a button labelled "Domains" and you will get all
Domains known to Axiom that are Rings. I.e., Integer, Polynomial Integer,
Fraction Integer, PrimeField, and so on.

Right. ALLPROSE cannot do that. There are other tools necessary.

Ralf