[Axiom-developer] update on Aldor

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] update on Aldor
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 14:36:27 -0400

On October 21, 2006 12:46 PM CY wrote:

> > http://sage.math.washington.edu/sage_days2_audio/Bill_Page.mp3
> >
> > > Downloading that to listen now.
> >
> > Well... ?
>
> Very interesting!  Good overview.  Thanks for taking the time
> to do this talk.

Thanks. Maybe we should start planning the next Axiom meeting real
soon. I would love to have a chance to work on Axiom in an intensive
coding sprint such as was organized for Sage Days. I think it was
very effective.

> I haven't haven't anything about Aldor since the Aldor-l list
> discussion some months back, and that mostly concerned how to
> handle the situation of Aldor not being released.
>
> Any updates available or forthcoming on that subject?

I have not heard anything at all concerning making Aldor open source
despite the publicly stated positive intentions of the principal
people involved, many months ago. I think this reflects very badly
on them, given how important this is to the future of Axiom. At this
point in time I am no longer very optimistic that this is really going
to happen. :-( Anything that anyone can do to re-energize this effort,
e.g. contact Steven Watt again and offer help with making Aldor open
source, would be greatly appreciated by all.