RE: [Axiom-developer] gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] gcl-2.6.8pre on MAC OSX 10.2
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 03:04:44 -0400

Tim,

On Wednesday, October 18, 2006 2:31 AM you asked:
> why did you need gettext and sed? i've grabbed tarballs of both,
> saved your instructions, and will try to follow your lead on
> this.

The gcl build needs gnu msgfmt and libintl from gettext since at
least some part of gcl (binutils and debian) trys to provide
localized messages. On your system you might find this in the
/sw directory if you've previously installed Fink. But I wanted
to avoid that.

On the OSX 10.2 system I am using at SourceForge, the 'sed' editor
is quite old and complained about some of the sed scripts in the
gcl build, so I just locally replaced it with the new version.
This might not be a problem on newer releases of OSX. (10.8 just
released?)

The critical thing was really the patch to o/unexmacosx.c. This
part of gcl is borrowed from emacs but it is based on a version
of emacs that is now quite old. I started by trying to use a newer
version of unexmacosx.c from the emacs source distribution, but the
gcl-specific modifications were beyond my level of understanding.
In the end I opted to backport just the minimum changes that allowed
the old version to compile. But I wouldn't be too surprized if this
was broken again in newer releases of OSX.

Have you tried downloading and running the binary that I posted
in an earlier message?

http://page.axiom-developer.org/gcl-2.6.8-osx10-20061017.bin