[Axiom-developer] parallel algorithms

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] parallel algorithms
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:40:23 -0400

I've been researching a mechanism for parallel execution
for algorithms like matrix multiply or group algorithms.

Google has published their "MapReduce" algorithm here:
http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce-osdi04.pdf

It seems that we could implement the automatic primitives
used by google with similar semantics to achieve parallel
execution on multi-core machines. Since multi-core machines
are reliable and share memory and a file system this could
be quite efficient and natural.

We could also scale the algorithm by using a network
protocol and work between multiple Axiom/Magnus hosted
machines. This would make effective use of a cluster.

Comments?

Tim