[Axiom-developer] RE: Google Repos

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Google Repos
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:51:39 -0400

Alfredo,

On October 12, 2006 11:59 AM you wrote:

> Do you have plans on how to keep SourceForge and Google in Sync.
> I see some people on the list asking about this and to put links
> in MathAction.
>
> If you want me to take care of this let me know.

If you could update the wiki with likes to the Google repository,
an explanation of what it contains, and how we expect people to
use it, that would be great! :-)

I have set up a cron job using SVK sync and smerge on axiom-developer
to keep the google repository up-to-date with SourceForge. So far I
have only implemented a one-way merge from SourceForge into Google.
Changes made at Google will be retained but not automatically merged
back to SourceForge.

Currently the cron job is set to run once a day at about 3:30 AM
Central time (- 0500 UTC).

I have just run it so google should now be current with Google.

I tried to use 'svnsync' but this failed because it is not possible
to use it "after the fact". Our earlier attempt to use it also
failed but then due to space restrictions. The current repository was
built directly using svnadmin by Ben Collins-Sussman at Google
(Thanks, Ben!). But that means we can not use svnsync with it either.

SVK smerge seems like a good option. And it can be used in both
directions if we decide we also want to merge changes at the Google
repostiory back to the repository on SourceForge.

One of our original motivations for creating the repository on Google
Code was because of network problems accessing the SVN repository at
SourceForge. I would really like to know if the Google version works
any better. So far my limited experience with it does not make be very
optimistic. During the creation the the initial SVK mirror for the
Google respository (which is a necessary preliminary step for using
SVK smerge) I had to restart the SVK sync three times due to network
errors (result truncated) identical to the ones I have experienced
while downloading from SourceForge. My fear is that represents some
basic and persistent flaw in SVN - however unlikely that might seem
since SVN is now rather mature and widely used. But not everyone is
trying to use SVN with the https/webdav protocol...

Anyway any reports of success or failure checking out or committing
to the Google repository would be very useful.