Re: [Axiom-developer] rule for making NRLIBs

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] rule for making NRLIBs
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 20:36:51 +0200 (CEST)

Vanuxem Grégory wrote:
> Le samedi 07 octobre 2006 ? 16:41 +0200, Waldek Hebisch a écrit :
> > When you speak about "a lot of implications" do you mean that probe-file
> > is used in many places or that it is used in may different ways?  In the
> > first case a wrapper called axiom-probe-file would be a perfect solution.
>
> I meant they are used in many places and we will need, I think, to check
> the use of probe-file and delete-file everywhere (for example `egrep -ri
> 'probe_?-file' src/interp/ |wc -l` returns 84  (in Gold)) .
>
> Yes, I think too that a wrapper function/macro would be a good idea
> thought I don't think it will have to be used everywhere. This leads to
> other questions such that will we use the function directoryp, which is
> a wrapper to a C functions defined in src/lib/cfuns-c.c.pamphlet, in
> this wrapper? A new function has been added to the system package of
> GCL, namely 'stat', so will we rewrite a full lisp directoryp function
> and remove this C function from Axiom? Will this wrapper (axiom-probe|
> delete-file) use stat or directoryp etc, etc...

I think that we should use wrapper "everywhere" -- the semantics of
probe-file looks insane on Unix-like systems (including Windows and
Mac OSX).  ATM wrapper should use directoryp, later we can change
it to accomodate other Lisps.  I did not look deeply into the problem,
but what I wrote is just common sense: we want to push down and
encapsulate system specific details.

> I do not use the build-improvements branch but I'm really interested in it if
> these
> modifications allows users to use modified category/domain/package in
> src/algebra
> after a recompilation of Axiom (only modified files of course). This is not
> the
> case actually as far as I know.

ATM build-improvements has problem with stamp files -- I have to romove
them manually.  There is also problem with databases: when I changed
signatures of some functions I got compiler errors (Bill Page posted
a procedure how to handle this, I will try it).  But for the goodCoef
patch I was able to use make (after removing the stamp). It recompiled
about 20 files which took about 5 minutes and after that the change
was effective.

--
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden