RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [M#73697383] Re: Disk-quota Request
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:55:32 -0400

Ben,

I have been trying to understand why svnsync failed to
mirror the Axiom SourceForge repository and what we can do
about this situation.

First: I was successful at running an svnsync from a
local svn repository (obtained via rsync from SourceForge)
to another newly created local repository. The resulting
mirror had the very desirable property of being the same
size as the original - something that is not true when
using 'svk smerge'.

But I was not successful running svnsync directly from the
repository at SourceForge, presumably because SourceForge is
not yet running SVN 1.4 (among other possible problems at that
site). None the less, it seems that by using rsync to move the
repository files themselves to our axiom-developer.org server
and then access the files as a local repository using the new
version 1.4 of SVN, it is possible to get around this limitation.

However, when I tried to run this same process with the Google
Code repository as the target, I got the error message shown
below.

I can think of three possible explanations:

1) perhaps the pre_properties hook is not set up properly in
   our svn repository at Google?

2) perhaps this is another limitation of using svnsync with
   older versions of svn? (You said earlier that Google also
   was not yet running SVN 1.4)

3) or perhaps this is some system configuration problem such
   as a limitation on the size of the /tmp directory on the
   Google Code server?

What do you recommend? Do you think we should wait until Google
has had a chance to upgrade to SVN 1.4 and then try again?

Or should I give up on moving the whole repository and just
skim-off the most recent revision of trunk, copy trunk to our
branches/build-improvements, and then update it by skimming
off the top revision of that branch? I think that would be the
absolute minimum repository contents what would be useful for
us to maintain on the Google site. At least it would provide
our developers with a presumably more reliable alternative than
the existing SourceForge svn repository. Unfortunately I don't
think it would allow us to move our development process to the
Google environment. :-(