RE: [Axiom-developer] Boot

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Boot
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 13:35:21 -0400

On Monday, October 02, 2006 10:51 AM Tim Daly wrote:
> controlled? open source is the ultimate "herd of cats".
> work on anything you want, any time you want, any way you
> want. everybody has the same source access.

Sorry, you miss understand. I *wish* for the release of Aldor
as open source.

It is about Aldor that I claim is "controlled by peole with a
different agenda".

> you'll discover that you can't rewrite portions of the
> interpreter in either boot or python because they can't do
> the source-to-source transformations like defmacro and
> backquote. the interpreter lives to do source-to-source
> transformations.

Actually that's not true. Python is used in the Sage
interpreter to do just that.

> and as for wishing...  you don't need to wish. if you
> rewrite the interpreter in boot and it is better than the
> lisp version it will be adopted.

If Aldor would be released as open source, I think this
might be worth the effort. But not using Boot.