[Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom memory usage and GCL

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom memory usage and GCL
Date: 27 Sep 2006 02:36:33 +0200

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > I've been doing a binary search (which gives me a chance to
| > appreciate changetset commits); I may be near the commit that
| > caused the problem, but I really wish Axiom were faster to
| > compile.
|
| You mean there once was a version of build.improvements that did
| compile in such small memory? You did not explain this earlier.

I'm sorry for not being clear.  The newest gcl-2.6.8pre has been on
the build-improvements branch since
September 17; see zips/ChangeLog.build-improvements

    2006-09-17  Gabriel Dos Reis  <address@hidden>

            * gcl-2.6.8pre.tgz: Update.

and it contains patches that Camm and you worked on (I believe).

For the moment, the build seems to be broken except on my two
machines.  Once, it is back to normal I'll ping you for test.

| > I hope to be at a point where I can start parallel make, but
| > I first need to get this issue out of the way.
|
| Do you suspect some Axiom coding error??? Or are you talking
| about a different issue. It is no longer clear to me.

Before blaming Axiom, I prefer to blame myself first -- the makefiles
are very tricky and what can appear as a small change in a Makefile
can have far reaching fallouts in Lisp codes (especially in src/interp
where I'm having this problem) because of very poor or lack of
abstractions.

>From the description you gave, it looks to me like my failures may
have a different root from yours.  Since, it takes long to compiler
Axiom, it takes long to make progress.