[Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom memory usage and GCL

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Axiom memory usage and GCL
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:38:50 -0400

Gaby,

On Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:33 AM you wrote:

> Bill Page writes:
> | Starting with Camm's newest version of 2.6.8pre it is
> | possible to set maxpage a non-power of 2. I am not using
> | --enable-maxpage=196*1024 on MathAction and this seems to
> | be working so far.

What I meant to write was: I am *now* using

  --enable-maxpage=196*1024

> Many thanks.
>
> The reason I was asking is that I have a successful build of
> the axiom.build-improvements branch on the two machines I have,
> but when I tried on the SF Deian machine x86-linux1 I got a
> failure

How do you access the SF x86-linux1 machine? I used to have
access but the method I used (via cf.sourceforge.net) stopped
working a few weeks ago and I haven't been able to access any
of the compile farm machines since that time.

> -- which I can reproduce on another "old" x86 machine running
> redhat.  Both of them have "low" memory (256KB).  The failure
> in both build is:
>
> ====

> /scratch/latexo/users/gdr/build/obj/i686-intel-linux/interp/util.o
> start address -T 0x86fb000 Finished loading
> /scratch/latexo/users/gdr/build/obj/i686-intel-linux/interp/util.o
>
> Error: The function BUILD is undefined.
> Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
> Error signalled by SETQ.
> Broken at SETQ.  Type :H for Help.
> BOOT>>make[4]: Leaving directory
> `/scratch/latexo/users/gdr/build/src/interp'
>
> ====

I think the effects of low memory can be unpredictable. You
should definitely try using the newest gcl-2.6.8pre and
changing CGLOPTS to specify a smaller default memory such as

  --enable-maxpage=196*1024