[Axiom-developer] Re: Interest in Scientific Linux

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Interest in Scientific Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:18:55 -0400

> Hello,
> As we get started with Scientific Linux we are just checking as people
> sign up for the development mailing list what is bringing them to
> Scientific Linux.
> Would you mind sharing what your interest is in Scientific Linux?

I'm the lead developer on Axiom. Axiom was originally developed over
a 23 year period at IBM Research (I was one of the original authors).
It was eventually sold to NAG. Axiom used to be sold commercially
as a competitor to Mathematica and Maple. In 2000 it was withdrawn
from the market and released as open source. See
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org

I'm also the lead developer on Doyen. Doyen is a scientific
computing platform based on LiveCDs (similar to Knoppix). See
http://daly.axiom-developer.org/doyen
Doyen is intended as a vehicle to make scientific software
available at computational science conferences.

We attempt to work cooperatively to bring together the best
available talent and tools. I signed up for the developer
mailing list so I can understand what the current concerns
are for Scientific Linux and to connect with developers who
have an interest in working together.

Tim Daly