[Axiom-developer] Re: colinux

From: Alfredo Portes
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: colinux
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:24:55 -0400

William,

> Just out of curiosity, what were the issues with colinux that forced
> you into using live Linux CD's, vmware, etc.?

I never used colinux.  The Doyen CD is based on Tim Daly's idea of a collaborative science platform: http://daly.axiom-developer.org/doyen/ .

The goal of the project is to provide a common collaborative environment, that
can be distributed in conferences, etc.

An example of this could be at Sage Days. It would be unlikely that everybody in
the audience will have Sage on their machines, the same development tools,
experimental code, or  mathematical algorithms that you are demonstrating. You could provide them with a Doyen disk created for that conference (particular code, docs, etc.) and they will be able to reproduce exactly what you are showing without having to modify anything on their machines. Furthermore, with the help of a Local Wiki and a Online Wiki, the participants can make suggestions and improvements and these will be stored for future use.

So the two key points here are providing a science collaborative environment and making code contributions more permanent. I should put emphasis on the fact that Literal Programming is vital for these goals.

Probably Tim and Bill extend on the idea.

Regards,

Alfredo