RE: [Axiom-developer] Makefile.solaris9 stanza

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Makefile.solaris9 stanza
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:13:16 -0400

On September 15, 2006 10:51 AM Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:

> Kai Kaminski writes:
> | >  http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2006/014315.html
> | Ok, I guess it is about the fact that ANSI CL doesn't require
> | IEEE-754 floating point? Maybe I'm dense, but I don't get
> | what you're trying to say (seriously).
>
> the claimed portability of CL over C when basic things like that
> throw practitionners "out of the roof" :-)

I suppose that should read "off the roof" (as in suicide :).

I also do not see any evidence for the claimed portability of
Common Lisp. On the other hand I see applications written in "C"
on all platforms out numbering Lisp applications by many orders
of magnitude.

There of course even portability problems with Java - which was
intended specifically to solve portability problems.

What can we say?

"Life is complicated."

"Programming is a complex problem."