Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SilverBinaries] (new) Help test Axiom Silver

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [SilverBinaries] (new) Help test Axiom Silver
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:06:05 +0200

| What we have is like Debian.
| | Gold = stable
| Silver = unstable
| Bronze = testing

many of my students were scared by the name "unstable" and did not
want to touch it.  I don't think they are unique in that respect.

I know that for GCC, for example, we call mainline, "experimental" -- not
"unstable".  Personally, I would prefer to reserve the "negative"
sounding "unstable" to branches like "build-improvements" -- which
really can be very unstable :-)

I just wanted to follow the naming conventions of a big project like Debian. I quite believe that people who use Debian unstable all well aware that things could break. Anyway "unstable" does not have such a bad conotation for Debian. Am I wrong?

If we call Silver = experimental that is not very different from "testing". If you can come up with anthing better, you're welcome.

A suggestion could even be... drop "stable", "unstable", "testing" and just call the branches Gold, Silver, Bronze with a definition of what they are and the understanding that there is just ONE Gold and ONE Silver but many Bronze branches.

Ralf