RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom.silver

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] axiom.silver
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:15:47 -0400

Gaby,

On Monday, September 11, 2006 12:26 PM you wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, root wrote:
>
> | > The error from the configure is this:
> | > *******************************************
> | > Darwin
> | > Your system name is Darwin
> | > We do not know how to build for this kind of system
> | > Send a note to address@hidden about it
> | > *******************************************
> |

> | Actually, this is correct. I do not yet know how to build
> | Axiom on a MAC. There has been a recent suggestion that we
> | use Xcode and I'm pursuing that path.
>
> Tim --
>
>   Jacob is a student at TAMU taking my class on symbolic
> computations. He is interested in provisos -- I suspect at
> some point he may get into touch with you. He is trying to
> build Axiom for his class work.
>
> From what I understand, Bill has been able to build the
> build-improvements branch with some patches from Camm (which
> I believe I already put in build-improvements).

I have built the build-improvements branch on the axiom-developer
server (in fact that is what is running on MathAction right now).
But I think the build process still has some problems. For example,
I am not able to build (even if I specific '--without-noweb') if
noweb is not previously installed and in the PATH. Also, the
option to build from a previously installed gcl does not work
so the option '--without-gcl' is still necessary. Since building
from pre-installed gcl is possible on Debian using the Debian
source distribution for Axiom, there must still be something
missing from the 'gcl-system' option in the build-improvements
branch.

There is also an additional patch which I am still discussing
with Camm to solve the "Can't rename' problem. The patch that
I am using now might not be the ultimate solution of gcl-2.6.8.

Until a few days ago, I was also working on the SourceForge
compile farm - specifically on the OS X build. But SourceForge
currently has a network configuration problem which prevents me
from accessing their servers:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=200001&aid=1553456&gro
up_id=1

> I have a fix for the debian failure.  Once that is in, I would
> like to make a tarball of build-improvements available from
> axiom-developer.org or from SF (whichever is OK with you).
> This is to remove the "random" checkout errors.

I also continue to see some svn checkout errors. In some cases
on some platforms this seems to be a recoverable error by just
repeating the 'svn co' command until the checkout completes. On
others, the local svn archive gets unrecoverably locked. :(

I wonder if this might be another network configuration problem
at SourceForge?

Maybe we should setup a mirror of the SourceForge SVN repository
on the axiom-developer.org server? Then at least we would have an
alternate site in case there is a network problem.