Re: [Axiom-developer] A Canonical Axiom GUI

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A Canonical Axiom GUI
Date: 08 Sep 2006 16:25:48 +0200

Hi Kai!

Kai Kaminski <address@hidden> writes:

Good to see you here!

> 1) In the Axiom core we create one or more additional Lisp packages
>    (in the DEFPACKAGE sense) that provide an API for all the services
>    that a GUI needs/wants/whatever.
>
>    The most important feature would probably be to get the output from
>    textual chatter to something with more structure.

For display only I think there are three possibilities:

* use OutputForm directly

* use TEX

* create a domain like TEX that takes something in OutputFrom and converts it
  to whatever you want

For input and reusing output you should probably extend INFORM. If the type of
a result of a computation doesn't have INFORM, you should complain to the
author of the domain, or realize that it would be very very hard to come up
with an INFORM.

To obtain the domain of computation 101 you can use domainOf(%%(101))

And I still strongly believe that it would be wise to extend Ralf's ALLPROSE to
become a full-featured GUI. You really should look at the stuff tex4ht
produces, i.e., try

make html

in any ALLPROSE project (for example MyAlps, that comes with the ALLPROSE
distribution)

(you have to have tex4ht installed, of course)

Martin