Re: [Axiom-developer] A Canonical Axiom GUI

From: Kai Kaminski
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A Canonical Axiom GUI
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:13:44 +0200

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai Kaminski <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> | PS: I don't mean to say that there shouldn't be a nice, downloadable
> | package on Axiom's website featuring a specific GUI. What I'm after is
> | independence. Axiom's main branch should contain no GUI-related code
> | other than the implementation of the Axiom<->GUI protocol.
>
> I agree with that.  If you can sell it to the powers, I would be happy
> to lend a helping hand.
Thanks. Maybe we can just agree that having an API/protocol to the
Axiom core is useful anyway and then implement that. That way we avoid
the discussion about wether we need a canonical GUI or not. The
existence of a well-designed API seems to be a good idea anyway.

I'll try to put up a wiki page for collecting design proposals, use
cases, etc. Furthermore I'll try to document those parts of Axiom that
are directly related to this effort (plotting code, database access,
documentation access, access to the interpreter/compiler etc).

Kai