[Axiom-developer] RE: Cannot Rename The File Erlib To NRLIB

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Cannot Rename The File Erlib To NRLIB
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 18:08:34 -0400

Camm,

On Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:16 PM you wrote:
> I think we might still be deviating from the spec on directory a
> bit. Even though we pass all the ansi tests.  At the moment, the
> best I can think of is
>
> (or (probe-file filearg) (= 1 (length (directory filearg))))
>
> We can change this if it is deemed insufficient, and/or add a
> si::stat function.

Yes. I prefer the (si:stat filearg) function:

  nil if no file or directory exists,  otherwise some
  list of useful info and keywords (like Unix?)

The non-nil return might not be so standard between systems
but who really cares?

The following long boring chain of messages between the experts:

http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Lisp/comp.lang.lisp/2005-07/msg01699
.html

convinces me that your suggestion is the best idea so far! :-)