[Axiom-developer] RE: [SAGEdev] Xcode and Fink (was: Hopefully stupid qu

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: [SAGEdev] Xcode and Fink (was: Hopefully stupid question)
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 11:24:28 -0400

On Thursday, September 07, 2006 10:42 AM Waqar Malik wrote:

>       I be glad to help with Axiom, but I have not used
> Axiom, so I have not tried to compile it.

Thank you, thank you!

The main part of Axiom (the AXIOMsys computational "engine") is
built as a very large Lisp application on top of GCL plus a few
external subroutines written in C linked into the image.

The two other main parts of Axiom: Hyperdoc and Graphics, run
as separate processes, are written entirely in C and communicate
with AXIOMsys via sockets.

> Couple of things to remember about gcl port, I have not updated
> to the latest release (2.6.7) and I have not compiled it on
> Intel machines yet, I will have to spend some time to verify
> that it works.

It should be possible to build Axiom using the older version
of GCL.

Anything you can do to help us with this would be greatly
appreciated! If you haven't already, you might want to visit
the Axiom developer website at

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org

to find out more about Axiom. If you have any questions and/or
suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks again, and "Welcome aboard!" :-)