Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 15:41:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, Alfredo Portes wrote:

|   Gaby,
|
|   Why don't you register at SF and fix the build environment so that
| > you can report on testings if you believe that Axiom should not be
| > allowed in build environement without latex?  That way we can
| > meaningfully reject any help amounting to test Axiom in an environment
| > without latex.
|

|   I think what Jay is trying to say is that regular users will use binaries
| or
|   PM to install axiom.

I suspect people are simplifying too much here.  I don't believe the
world divides so nicely into mutually exclusive  "regular users" and
"contributors"; and regular users will have binaries or PM to install
axiom.  I know of reasonable people who hate PM (with the automatic
dependency hell that comes with it).  So positing the above would make
a lot of sense only if we restrict our world sufficiently enough.

|    However the case you are referring is to people who
|   would like to contribute, but shouldnt any code to be contributed to

testing, testing, testing, I said.
Not contributing unbuilt or untested patches.

|   Axiom be in LP form also? I know this is not the standard, but I think
|   that would be the final goal? How can this be accomplished without Latex?

Building Axiom can be done without latex.

Latex is required only to "type check" the pamphlet files.  If you see
someone contruting something without having latexed it, please arrest him.
And if you look carefully you would arrest many of the key contributors.

Again, I'M NOT PROPOSING TO ACCEPT CHANGES TO PAMPHLET FILES THAT
HAVE NOT BEEN PROPERLY LATEXED.

Now, do you believe that we have enough resources and testers on
all platforms we want to support, so that we should refuse building
Axiom without latex?  That is NOT a rhetorical question.