[Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: Requiring LaTeX
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 18:39:58 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, root wrote:

| > In April, I approched two friends of mine involved in linu
| > distributions (RH and SUSE) hoping to have them make Axiom part of
| > their distribution.  They said they won't touch this stuff if it does
| > not support cross-compilation.  We have two choices: ignore them, and
|
| Please explain what you mean by cross-compilation.

Benjamin Kosnik tried to explain that in April on this list.
Imagine I'm running on x86-based machine, and I must build binaries
for a PowerPC-based systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-compiling
http://www.airs.com/ian/configure/configure_5.html

and if you want an example of what I'm talking about

http://www.mozilla.org/build/cross-compiling.html

| You can NFS mount SRC, set the AXIOM variable for the current system,

Sorry to say, but that is way, far way insufficient to provide
cross-compilation. Furthermore, as I demonstrated earlier, the current
scheme just does NOT work.  I've tried it!