Re: [Axiom-developer] patch-50 successfully compiled on debian sarge

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] patch-50 successfully compiled on debian sarge
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:44:21 -0400

> I just want to tell you that getting a fresh copy of patch-50 compiled
> fine on my Debian Sarge box.
>
> BTW, this time I got a new copy of the tla archive, but would
>
> make clean
> tla update
> ./configure
> make
>
> be enough?
>
> I am somehow missing a "distclean" target.
> Or is the current "clean" target producing a directory content as it
> would be after a fresh checkout?

It turns out that the recursive 'make clean' cannot recover from
certain badly formed partial builds. The actual clean stanza that
is now executed is in the top level Makefile and reads:

        @ echo 7 making a ${SYS} system, PART=${PART} SUBPART=${SUBPART}
        @ echo 8 Environment ${ENV}
        @ rm -f lsp/Makefile.dvi
        @ rm -f lsp/Makefile
        @ rm -rf lsp/gcl*
        @ rm -f noweb
        @ rm -f trace
        @ rm -f Makefile.${SYS}
        @ rm -f Makefile.dvi
        @ rm -rf int
        @ rm -rf obj
        @ rm -rf mnt
        @ for i in `find . -name "*~"` ; do rm -f $$i ; done
        @ for i in `find src -name "Makefile"` ; do rm -f $$i ; done
        @ for i in `find src -name "Makefile.dvi"` ; do rm -f $$i ; done

This should reset the system back to its initial state.

I'll clean up the Makefile.pamphlets to reflect this.