[Axiom-developer] Re: [build-improvements] make clean and xgcl

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [build-improvements] make clean and xgcl
Date: 29 Aug 2006 10:01:56 -0500

Vanuxem Grégory <address@hidden> writes:

| Hello Gaby,
|
| I tested the build-improvements branch and if we build gcl the XLIB
| (xgcl) package is compiled in (gcl and AXIOMsys are thus linked against
| the X libraries). Don't know what you think about this, it's just a
| remark.

Ah, I have no particular idea about which direction to go here.  What
would be your recommendation?

| Another thing, more important, is that if you stop the build process
| after the creation of bootsys, do a make clean, reconfigure and remake,
| the build process stops and complains about the fact that lisp can not
| be found (with or without building gcl).

yes, that is very annoying.  We don't have a good dependency at the
moment.  We should have one.  I know I had similar problem in the past
and I heared that it would NOT be recommended.  I think that is wrong.
We should have a dependency that make knows about.  That way we can
also have a parallel build (make -jN) -- Axiom just takes too long to
build.

I'm working in major restructuring of the makefiles.  I have class
today, so unfortunately I won't do much today.

But, please, list your priority about the build machinery.

Thanks!