Re: [Axiom-developer] patches

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] patches
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:12:36 +0200

I agree.  I'm a bit disappointed that we don't branch our
experiements/works from a single "referential" source.

I agree too.

Good.

As I explained in an earlier email, on Tuesday
I updated the 'bookvol1' and 'ComputerTutorial' pamphlets in
book--main--1 on the Axiom Wiki directly from the src/doc
directory of the Silver branch.

Super. BUT...
If I haven't read the mailing list. I wouldn't even find
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1/FrontPage

If there is a reference to a source it MUST appear on the http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomSources page. Otherwise nobody will find it. I even believe that it would be enough to have axiom--test--1 on the wiki. Cannot you merge your book--main--1 with axiom--test--1 and remove the wiki--book--main--1 thing? Furthermore there should be a SVN branch on sourceforge so that people who want to contribute to the book could also do this via SVN. Both the SVN branch and the wiki-axiom sources should be in sync. I guess that might be a bit hard, since svn doen't feature star-merge.

> Then I applied the patches
supplied by Frithjof Schulze. So now these files on the wiki
are ready for online editing. Later we will merge these back
to Silver and then from Silver to gold. Isn't that how it's
supposed to work?

Right, but I would rather like to restrict the attribute "silver" to the SVN trunk. All the other branches on sourceforge are in a testing phase and only enter silver (=trunk) if they are at least reasonably stable. And they can enter it only by a request of the maintainer of the testing branch. (Which also means there should never be a branch that has no responsible person attached.)

Ralf