Re: [Axiom-developer] patches

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] patches
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 22:28:05 +0200

Hello

Actually, the up-to-date book volumes are in

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1

I hope this book--main--1 and the tla archive are synchronised. Otherwise there will be again confusion.

And why don't other people give there opinion about whether to have two projects like Gold and Silver (that basically contain the sources to build Axiom) and that book--main--1 stuff which at the moment has approximately empty intersection with Gold/Silver.

I strongly opt for just ONE archive. The book project should live in the
src/doc directory of the Gold/Silver sources. Otherwise we are speaking about Axiom sources and exclude the Axiom book. That is completely counter-intuitive. Please keep/make it simple.

I still don't like the diff-format. So all those mathaction mails
are actually nearly like spam to me.

'diff -au' format is pretty near universal isn't it?

I am not a computer. I still believe that I am human. ;-)

Do you think the first line of the email, e.g.

  Changes http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/FrontPage/diff

should be removed?

No.

Do you like the 'diff' web page any better than the diff content
> of the email?

Well, at least it is red an green. I get the plus'es and minus'es more easily. But still some ediff-like page would be even better.

Should both the forwarded from and diff links be at the top of the
email?

I would prefer it.

Somehow instead of
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/HowToSubmitPatches/diff
I would like to see something like an ediff in emacs.
Can that be easily achieved?

I don't know anything about ediff. Do you have some
examples?

I don't think that ediff is a special format. I would say, it is just a nice way to show the differences of two files.

Just take a text file a.txt copy it to b.txt and make a few modifications to b.txt. Then start emacs via

emacs --eval '(ediff-files "a.txt" "b.txt")'

Or use Eclipse, add the subclipse plug-in, add some SVN repository (for example, silver/branches/build-improvements), check out the sources, then right-click on a file and go to "Compare With"-> Revision.
(You can probably also do that with standard Eclipse and an CVS repository.)

Ralf