RE: [Axiom-developer] patches

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] patches
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 00:48:17 -0400

Frithjof,

On August 5, 2006 9:30 AM you wrote:

> here are some minor modifications of bookvol1 and ComputerTutorial.

Thank you very much for sending the patches. I have not applied
these patches to any of the Axiom distributions yet however I
did take the opportunity to update the online versions of these
documents on the Axiom Wiki from the Axiom Silver distribution and
then I applied your patches there. If you wish you can continue to
make your proposed changes to this online version. This would
allow the changes to be quickly reviewed by other Axiom users and
developers.

I would like to ask the other Axiom Developers for their opinion
about how best to handle these sort of changes to documentation in
the Axiom source distribution: Should we accumulate and review the
changes online and only then apply a cumulative patch to Silver
and Gold?

> In bookvol1 there were two nearly identical sections about the
> "%" macro. I removed one and moved a short explanation to the
> place "%" is used the first time.

See revised online version:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1/Bookvol1

> In ComputerTutorial I changed all occurrences of "\<\<" in
> verbatim environments into "<<" as (at least my) latex doesn't
> execute the command there. I also added ComputerTutorial to the
> Makefile.phamphlet.

See revised online version:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1/ComputerTutorial

> There is more duplication in the tutorial. I found that
> distracting. Reading something I had already read, I got
> bored, started to skip sections and finally was out of it.
> I would like to splice those sections in where they belong
> or remove them. Is that an acceptable policy?

I consider this a completely acceptable policy and I would like
to encourage you (and others) to continue to make these changes.
As the saying goes: Be Bold! You contributions will be greatly
appreciated by all.