Re: [Axiom-developer] Some latex packages that may help with multiple in

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Some latex packages that may help with multiple individual files in books
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 23:04:35 +0200

On 08/04/2006 07:43 PM, C Y wrote:
--- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

I have once tried "combine". But IIRC it only takes the
\usepackage(s) from the first file. For the other files \usepackage
just absorbs its argument and does nothing. So it is not a real
solution for me.

I think there is a variable to grab additional usepackage commands from
other files, but it's not the default.

Oh, that might be true. But what does that help if you want to combine pamphlets from different authors who use conflicting latex packages???

When I saw the hyperlink in endpaper.pamhlet that linked to a .dvi
file, I tried another idea. Basically along the following lines...
Remember I want to combine (crosslink) the documentation of different
aldor libraries which are each by themselves consisting of several
noweb files. I think it is doable to compile the first library
documentation (dvi-1), then use the .aux file from that compilation
and use it in the compilation of the second library documentation
(dvi-2). One would still have 2 .dvi files, but if you open dvi-2 and click on a link that refers to something in dvi-1, then the
dviviewer opens dvi-1 at the right page.
As a user you would not even recognize that these are two files.
That would be OK for me. And there would be no problem with
\usepackage since an author could use anything she likes.

My first question is whether this would work for formats beyond dvi,
such as pdf.

Should work. I think I have once seen linking from one pdf to another in acroread. But I have no explicit running example available. :-( But I see no big difference between pdf and dvi.

Also, it doesn't seem able to produce a "printable" book
which incorporates the individual files.

What do you actually want? Can't you produce a book which is a collection of works? Look at conference proceedings, they do it all the time. I don't care so much about a 1000 pages book. If you don't like to read stuff online, print it. If you have just 100 pages, it is not so heavy. ;-) I care more for the hyperlinks. That also adds some value if you really want to find information quickly inside a book.

For example, you take some book and read the word "ring". Tell me in a few seconds whether the author speaks of a ring with or without a 1. If "ring" is a hyperlink to its definition, that is easy. You don't have to browse backwards to find the phrase:

  For this and only this chapter all our rings have a 1.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think your idea Ralf and the combine
packages goals are slightly different - combine aimes to produce
something you could bind up and sell as a paper archive of a
conference, and your work enables intelligent hyperlinking between dvi
documents.

Some time ago I looked into combine, but I gave up since one needs to make sure that the packages that authors use do not conflict each other. (Start with the packages verbatim, fancyvrb, moreverb, each of them appearing in a \usepackage of a different pamphlet. I have not tested whether they are really conflicting, but it pretty much looks like that and you surely find other examples.

Ralf