[Axiom-developer] Zwiki update, anti-spam thoughts

From: Simon Michael
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Zwiki update, anti-spam thoughts
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 22:57:52 -0700

Page, Bill wrote:
Maybe there are some new anti-spam options that Simon has
invented for ZWiki that could help, but merging our modified
ZWiki/LatexWiki code with the new ZWiki code is also likely
to be a serious amount of work. So far I have only done that
on a piecemeal basis.

It has to be done sooner or later though, if you continue to use Zwiki, otherwise you fork more and more and you don't get the benefit of the latest enhancements. I know you know this. I think the best approach is for you and I to work on this together on IRC. I know Zwiki and you know the latexwiki/mathaction changes and together we could probably get over this hump in an hour or three.

Regarding the anti-spam features - these are documented best at http://zwiki.org/LinkSpam . I'm not sure which of them are available in your version at this point. Personally I don't bother with banned_links at all, updating it is too labour-intensive. max_anonymous_links and max_identified_links are quite effective although not perfect.

Each of these tends to raise the annoyance level for legitimate users even while it protects them. For your site, I have the feeling it may be best to bite the bullet and require a login for all or most kinds of edit. Signing up is annoying, but once you've done that, there should be no further hindrance to editing. And registering for a login (approved by human, if necessary) still seems to be a sufficient barrier to keep out spammers.

As for how to implement this: there are zope products which allow self-registration without the need for CMF or Plone (exUserFolder is an old one, there must be something better by now). Or, you could put the wiki inside Plone to take advantage of its polished membership system, but still have it use the fast zwiki skin (easy; see how-tos at zwiki.org or ask me).

Best,
-Simon