Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:44:09 +0200

   Based on the feedback I got, I implemented the Autoconf-based
configuration stuff as a pamphlet file (see below).

I think, Bill's suggestion is the right one. We have a pure ./configure
file that is distributed with the Axiom sources and a configure.ac.pamphlet.

We have two ways to compile Axiom:

1) For ordinary users who want to download and compile and run axiom

     ./configure
      make
      make install
        axiom

should be enough.

2) For developers who want to compile Axiom change it and test their stuff. (Same commands as above.)

3) For developers who want to work on the build process and need to change configure.ac.pamphlet. Here

        ./configure
        make configure
        autoconf configure.ac > configure
        ./configure
        make
        make install

should do the compilation. The first configure (that comes with Axiom) checks for noweb and generates a simple Makefile that enables a "make configure". "make configure" could then call notangle to generate configure.ac (It could even include "autoconf configure.ac > configure".) Would that be a bad bootstrapping?

Gaby, it is only you who must run

notangle configure.ac.pamphlet > configure.ac
autoconf configure.ac > configure

ONCE and then we see a "configure" file in the distribution of Axiom.

Ralf