Re: [Axiom-developer] Problem building SIlver Axiom on Gentoo Linux

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Problem building SIlver Axiom on Gentoo Linux
Date: 31 Jul 2006 15:35:40 +0200

Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

| Hi Gaby,
|
| I have also come across that bug some time. It is just a missing
| backslash in front of the special character #.
|
| I've included the patch at the end.

Thanks, I'll test it commit to Silver.

| Why I did not send it was that I find "diff -Naur" rather inconvenient.
| And I was not yet fully through with the compilation of Silver, but
| wanted to submit a whole changeset. Unfortunately, some other business
| stopped my work on the compilation.
|
| I usually have just one working copy. If I come across a problem, I
| fix it and try to recompile. If it works, fine. But if I should submit
| a "diff -Naur" patch I need the old an the new file. The old file is
| gone, of course, so I need a checkout of a second (original) working
| copy to be able to "diff -Naur". I believe that that is completely
| unnecessary, because the SVN working copy as well as the tla working
| copy have the original files stored either in .svn or in the {arch}
| subdirectories.

SVN comes with its own built-in "diff" utility that differs from usual
"diff" command.  Consequently, it does not understand the "-Naur"
option.  That is rather inconvenient.  I do agree.  When we moved GCC
to SVN, that was one of the "minor" inconveniences I found.

"Fortunately", people have been through that trouble before and
documented the "solution":

  http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SvnTricks

Look at the section "How can I get context diffs? How do I configure
an external diff tool?"

You don't need to have duplicate copies of Axiom before sending a
patch.  I suspect one would make more mistakes by hand-managing diffs
of copies than having widely-tested tools do it.

For those who uses SVK, I'll add a documentation later.