RE: [Axiom-developer] Order of loading of lisp files?

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Order of loading of lisp files?
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:19:43 -0400

CY,

On July 22, 2006 11:34 AM you wrote:

> Is there some way to identify the order in which lisp, boot,
> and spad files are loaded into the lisp environment once gcl
> is built?  I'm trying to figure out how to attempt a sbcl build
> and I'm not quite sure how to "plug in" sbcl instead of the
> axiom copy of gcl.

That you ask the question in this way suggests that you have
a lot to learn about the way Axiom is built! But then I have
always admired the way you seem to be willing to ask these
questions. :-) Seriously. If more people asked for things on
this list, we would be getting a lot further than we have in
the number of possible Axiom developers.

The short answer to your question of course is that you must
look at the Makefile.pamplet, or rather the set of makefiles
in each of the root, boot, interp and algebra directories.
The order is given there both explicitly and to lesser extent
implicitly, in the manner allowed by make.

The longer answer is that the current Axiom build process is
not really organized in a manner that would allow you to just
"plug in" a different lisp. It might be easier for you to work
with the Debian version of the build which does not build the
lisp system from scratch. Another thing that you might look at
is the CMUCL build of Axiom that was done by Juergen Weiss
about 3 years ago. See the most recent reference to this here:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-11/msg00373.html

There is one statement that Juergen made here in this email
that has really stuck in my mind. In reply to Tim Daly Jr.
question regarding the common lisp port:

He wrote:

>  "because people do not listen ;-)..."

Well, I am certainly listening, but unfortunately we have not
heard anything more from either of them since that exchange. :(