RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom trunk failure

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Re: Axiom trunk failure
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 13:06:26 -0400

On Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:47 PM Vanuxem Grégory wrote:

> > GCL does not compile on Cygwin. Some portions of GCL are related
> > to Cygwin but they are not maintained anymore as far as I know.
> > GCL on Windows uses the MinGW/MSYS environment (so it's not
> > possible to build X based applications such that graphics and
> > hyperdoc).
>
> Hum I forgot something.
>
> But, as Tim said earlier, hyperdoc and probably graphics
> could be ported to Cygwin.

Tim has already successfully (more or less) compiled hyperdoc
using Cygwin. See this thread:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-12/msg00439.html
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-12/msg00438.html
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2005-12/msg00428.html

Although the hyperdoc program was compiled under Cygwin, the
X server part does run as a stand alone windows app called
Xming see:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming
http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/Xming

So I don't think Cygwin is actually required for this. Axiom
graphics is a more complex program than hyperdoc but it should
also be possible to run it "native" on Windows this way.

There is obviously a very great demand by Axiom on Windows users
for these missing Axiom features. Anything we could do to solve
this problem would benefit a look of new Axiom users.