Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom bibliography

From: Bob McElrath
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom bibliography
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:14:05 -0700

Page, Bill address@hidden wrote:
> > I would like to add search and \cite{} capability from wiki
> > pages.  This would allow discussion of papers, and even
> > back-references on the wiki! It would be super-sweet if the
> > search could be done in a sidebar, next to the edit window,
> > using AJAX, so that you could retrieve the identifier for
> > \cite{} without having to open a new browser window.
>
> So is this what you have in mind?

Yes, right now I intend to use the CMF Bibliography Archetype as a base
(same as you are using on the Axiom Portal)...but I think it leaves some
things to be desired, and I'd like to enhance it.  Improving searching
would be one.

My goal in doing a search is to find the unique ID to reference a paper
by, so I can type \cite{foo} on my wiki page.  Or I'm looking to
download the paper.  Neither of which are possible/easy with the CMF
Bibliography Archetype, as it stands.

> --------
>
> Supposed in an Axiom wiki page I write:
>
>    Blah, blah. Polynomial\cite{axiombib/Duval1992EPS} are
>    treated ...
>
> In this case what will we see rendered on the page?
>
>              1
>    Polynomial  are treated ...
>
> with the 1 hyperlinked to a brief formatted reference at the
> bottom of the page?
>
>   ..1 D Duval and F Jung  (1992)
>   Examples of problem solving using computer algebra
>
> which in turn is hyperlinked to full reference at
>
> http://portal.axiom-developer.org/refs/axiombib/Duval1992EPS
>
> ----------

That is exactly what I have in mind.  But furthermore the page displayed
at:
    http://portal.axiom-developer.org/refs/axiombib/Duval1992EPS
is almost useless because it does not provide any link to any on-line
database which would let me download the paper.  It has only a cryptic
journal citation.  I think one would have to be an expert in the field
to decode j-IFIP-TRANS-A <#j-IFIP-TRANS-A> A-2:133\u2013141, 143.

For the \cite{} I would rather have one huge bibliography, with every
paper on the planet.  The contents of the \cite{} should identify the
paper, rather than the local bibliography ('axiombib') to look in.  For
instance, \cite{arXiv:hep-ph/01234567} or
\cite{ADS:2001Sci...294.1320M}, where I assume that the 'arXiv:' and
'ADS:' can be dropped because the text string itself is sufficently
unique to figure out which database to look in.

The difference is that I assume NO ONE will add any entry to the bibtex.
Rather the server will keep a database and update it automatically when
you type \cite{hep-ph/0123457}.  Keep the users away from database
maintainence.  It's hard enough just to find the paper in the first
place.

If you want to process a pamphlet in latex it's easy enough to extract
the bibtex entries used and export them.

--
Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "It is almost universally felt that when we call a country
    democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every
    kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they
    might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one
    meaning." -- George Orwell