Re: [Axiom-developer] "Please add new attributes" message when building

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] "Please add new attributes" message when building aldor interface
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:23:49 +0200

Hello Grégory,

On 04/18/2006 08:10 PM, Vanuxem Grégory wrote:
Hi,

I have successfully built Axiom --patch-49 on my machine. And in the
process of building the Aldor interface (I followed the procedure
described in http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AldorForAxiomissue) i
encountered the following undocumented issue:

the build process stopped with this message:

cp /usr/local/axiom/src/aldor/as/attrib.as.head
/usr/local/axiom/int/aldor/as/attrib.as
Please add new attributes to /attrib.as.head
make[1]: *** [/usr/local/axiom/int/aldor/as/attrib.as] Erreur 1
make[1]: *** Destruction du fichier
« /usr/local/axiom/int/aldor/as/attrib.as »
make[1]: quittant le répertoire « /usr/local/axiom/src/aldor »

It seems that the build process stops to allow user to modify
attrib.as.head that contains attributes defined in the axiom library
(for example shallowMutable). Indeed the libaxiom.mk contains a "@false"
line 70. So I modified libaxiom.mk and commented out this "@false" and
the build completes without any problem. I successfully tested Aldor in
axiom with the sample provided. So my questions are: is it a known
issue ?

Item 9 on http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AldorForAxiom
says...

    #  Build the Aldor interface

    Issue the following commands:

         $ cd aldor
         $ document Makefile.pamphlet
         $ make

    make stops with an error message. The next two steps correct the
    problem:

         $ touch ../../int/aldor/dep_spad.stamp
         $ document Make.functions.pamphlet

    Now complete build of the Aldor interface:

         $ make 2>&1 | tee aldor.log

    The build might take up to 2 hours or some machines.

I faintly remember that I did exactly that when I compiled the interface. But I can tell you more when I rebuild it (which is not likely in the next two weeks),

Is the Aldor interface correct ?

I think so, but one never knows, since the whole stuff is more or less completely undocumented. :-(

Am I alone with this issue ? Is it normal that the build process stops
> (it's not documented on Mathaction) ? Was src_aldor2.tgz changed
> (I did not encounter this issue in the past)?

Yes, the compilation stopped but not for the issue you described.
What you encountered should rather be seen as a feature than a bug.
So '@false' should remain there.

libaxiom.mk says
----BEGIN
# attrib.as - needs some special rules
# The second ensures that the build will fail if ATTREG.spad is modified.

ALL_DIRS += $(MID)/as

$(MID)/as/attrib.as:: $(IN)/as/attrib.as.head $(MID)/as/.dir
        cp $(IN)/as/attrib.as.head  $@

$(MID)/as/attrib.as:: $(INT)/algebra/ATTREG.spad
        @echo "Please add new attributes to $(Ax0Dir)/attrib.as.head"
        @false
----END

So if ever ATTREG.spad changes the compilation stops. Hmm, that means it probably always stops if you do 'tla update' and recompile Axiom. Maybe the dependency should rather be ATTREG.spad.pamphlet. But also that does not sound correct, since I can simply modify the documentation without generating a different ATTREG.spad.

Probably the easiest thing would be to include the src_aldor2.tgz (in extracted form) into the aldor distribution. Sure, you can only build the interface, if you have Java around, but your problem would go away, since whenever ATTREG.spad.pamphlet is modified one would modify attrib.as.head appropriately BEFORE distributing new Axiom sources.
The timestamp of attrib.as should be newer than ATTREG.spad.

Ralf