[Axiom-developer] Re: [AxiomDownload]

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [AxiomDownload]
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:06:09 +0200

Hello Bill,

On 04/18/2006 05:42 PM, Bill Page wrote:
Ralf,

I believe that it is/has been Tim Daly's procedure to first
update the tla archive, as and when patches are applied but
to only promote the code to CVS after more thorough testing - about once every two months or so. The same CVS is available
at both Savannah and Sourceforge, with sourceforge as a backup
site. So the tla archive is not always in synch with the CVS.
The tla archive is more current but less tested. Right, Tim?
Perhaps we should only call the CVS "gold".

Sorry for all the confusion that was introduced by my update of http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDownload, but you see exactly this confusion should be resolved.

No, I would not call the CVS stuff "gold". We have blessed the gold and silver branches already. Let's call it "diamond". ;-)

Anyway, please let's make it completely clear what the release cycles of the various archives are. Otherwise nobody knows which source archive is good for which thing.

I am not sure (yet) what we should say about the "silver" svn
version since it still seems highly experimental to me - at
least until we have an active maintainer of this version.
> As of Tim's most recent patch-49, the code of the source in svn is out
of date.

Well, I am actually also waiting for Gaby to post some more details about the process of how the development model for Axiom should be.

Note that detailed information about how to use arch is available
elsewhere on the wiki at

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/ArchUsage

although I guess it doesn't hurt to duplicate it a little.

I know, and I also want to concentrate this to just one place, but we first should have a clear develepment model which includes a description of silver, gold, diamond or whatever.

Please let's reduce all this confusion. Suppose you are new to Axiom knowledgable in CVS and you want to contribute code to axiom. You look at FrontPage. AND THEN???

Ralf