Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch

From: Frederic Lehobey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom silver branch
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 23:47:06 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 05:25:08PM -0400, Bill Page wrote:
> On April 8, 2006 4:35 PM Frederic Lehobey wrote:

> > svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/axiom/!svn/vcc/default'
> > svn: REPORT of '/svnroot/axiom/!svn/vcc/default': Could not
> > read response body: Secure connection truncated
> > (https://svn.sourceforge.net)

> That is very bad news. :( I was hoping that this error was
> confined to Windows.

:-(

> > And for the 1 or 2 times it completed, I got the following error
> > after make:

> > $ LANG=C make
> > 13 making noweb
> > tar: Skipping to next header
> > tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
> >  incomplete literal tree
> >
> > Therefore I am not sure I can trust svn from sourceforge.
> > The branch has been impossible to use so far for me.
>
> The same for me. :( I think the error above with tar file is
> probably caused by the fact that the .tgz files in the current
> CVS and tla archives are not properly marked as 'binary' files.

Thanks for the explanation.  I was wondering whether it was related to
the ssh problem.  (Hence my 10 attempts have been made from scratch as
I did not know whether I could trust svn on interrupted downloads --
and it takes time...)

> Storing binary files in a source code archive is something that
> I have always objected to, but Tim insists on re-distributing
> code this way. I really think we should stop doing this.

Please, provide the relevant patches. This is exactly what needs the
silver branch and what it is intended for.  :-)

> In my case I have no other problems using ssh to the sourceforge
> site from Windows using other software.

You mean using other software than svn or on other repositories than
axiom?  (I believe axiom repository is a large one compared to other
projects.)

Best regards,
Frédéric