RE: [Axiom-developer] Domains and expressions

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Domains and expressions
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 21:17:31 -0500

Gaby,

On Thursday, March 16, 2006 1:23 PM you wrote:

> | > Chasing links led me to this

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=190695&dl=GUIDE&coll=GUIDE&CFID=67
330748&CFTOKEN=77193109

> | > Do people know what happens to "Gauss"?

> | > In their approach to mimic Axiom, they avoid been careful
> | > in making AbelianMonoid "derive" from Monoid.
> |
> | Yes, that is interesting - nice diagram. I wonder how much
> | of that was actually implemented?
>
> Good question.

It looks as if everything that was described above was indeed
implemented.

I can't believe I actually found this!

http://www.hrz.uni-oldenburg.de/software/maple/share/Das_Share-Verzeichn
is/gauss

It seems that Gauss may have been part of the Maple Share library
up to release 5.

http://www.hrz.uni-oldenburg.de/software/maple

Here is (as far as I can tell) the entire Maple source code for
Gauss:

http://page.axiom-developer.org/gauss.tgz

There is another (older?) version here:

ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/maple/5.0

I haven't it tried yet, but I doubt that this code would run
unmodified on any versions of Maple newer than release 5. It
looks like this code is designed to be "installed" by piping
it to the old command line Maple (not gui).

For some basic instructions take a look towards the end of the
file named 'gauss'.