[Axiom-developer] "Factoring" Expression Integer/ simplifying powers

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-developer] "Factoring" Expression Integer/ simplifying powers
Date: 04 Mar 2006 21:39:55 +0100

Francois Maltey <address@hidden> writes:

> but how can I transform this recursive formula :
>
>     (1+x)^n*(1+x) + x + 1
> to  (1+x)(1+x)^n
> and (1+x)^(n+1) ?

Well, I guess you are currently a little out of luck here. (again and again,
sorry Francois)

To transform (1+x)^n*(1+x) into (1+x)^(n+1) you are probably best of by making
up a rule, i.e., using pattern matching. See AxiomProblems on MathAction for
some examples.

But I guess, that this is not what you "should" be after. Maybe you can (with
pencil and paper) describe a "normal form" of the expressions you want to
consider. If you have found (a computable) one, we can write an operation that
does the trick.

Maybe you want to consider the operation 'normalize'.

Martin