Re: [Axiom-developer] Documentation bug?

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Documentation bug?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 09:39:45 -0500

> Maybe I should have been a bit more precise. I actually already knew
> what )abbrev is for. I just forgot the syntax.
>
> As you see the first message tells me:
>
>    Issue )abbrev? for more information.
>
> And if I do that I get a not so helpful message. That was the bug I was
> referring to.

visit src/doc/msgs/s2-us.msgs

this file contains most (not all, unfortunately) of the messages
issued by axiom. i wrote it so that we could "internationalize"
the messages (e.g. write german equivalent text) hence the "us" in
name.

you could rewrite the message to make it clearer and send a patch.

most of the message from axiom, as you'd expect from a piece of
research software, are nearly "debugging" messages intended for
people who know what they are doing. we could make a beginner
or expert set of meesage.

if you're feeling ambitious you could translate the messages into
your native language and we could make the system use the native
language version. i'm not sure if the mechanism fully works as
i'm unable to speak other languagees so it's never been fully tested.

there are several messages that deal with "abbreviations"

S2IL0006
S2IL0009
S2IL0010
S2IL0019