RE: [Axiom-developer] Local MathAction

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Local MathAction
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:39:12 -0500

On January 5, 2006 6:26 AM Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> Last night, I followed the steps at
>
> http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/InstallingMathAction
>
> with some modifications. After
>
>       cp /home/AxiomW/latexwiki/LatexWiki/texbreaker* .
>
> I had to add
>
>       cp /home/AxiomW/latexwiki/LatexWiki/useproto.h .
>
> because that file was missing for the compilation.

Ok. I've updated the above wiki page.

> I also have no Reduce, so I commented out the Reduce related things
> (only the line numbers were a bit different).
>
> In /usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Products/axiomWrapper.py I've changed
>
>      cmdLine = 'export AXIOM=/usr/local/axiom/mnt/linux; export
> PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH; export ALDORROOT=/usr/local/aldor/linux/1.0.2;
> export PATH=$ALDORROOT/bin:$PATH; export HOME=/var/lib/plone2/main;
> AXIOMsys < %s' %(axiomFileName)

>      cmdLine = 'export AXIOM=/home/hemmecke/software/Axiom/mnt/linux;
> export ALDORROOT=/home/hemmecke/software/Aldor/aldor/linux/1.0.2;
> PATH=$ALDORROOT/bin:$AXIOM/bin:$PATH; AXIOMsys < %s' %(axiomFileName)
>
> (everything on just one line)
>
> I had no idea what to do with HOME since there is no
> /var/lib/plone2 on my system.

I think HOME is needed only for running PolyMake in Martin Rubey's
Axiom interface. PolyMake tries to set up some defaults in the
"users" home directory. This can be set to any convenient location.
I chose the root of the Zope instance which on axiom-developer is
'/var/lib/plone2/main'. On your system the Zope instance is probably
in a different place. Check $ZOPEHOME.

> texbreaker.mak is ...
>
> swig -python texbreaker.i
> gcc -fpic -c texbreaker.c texbreaker_wrap.c -I/usr/include/python2.3
> ld -shared texbreaker.o texbreaker_wrap.o -o _texbreaker.so
>
> I had to install swig (www.swig.org). Fortunately there was a Debian
> package.

Do you use

  apt-get install swig

?

> I also had to
> gcc -fpic -c texbreaker.c texbreaker_wrap.c -I/usr/include/python2.2
> instead of
> gcc -fpic -c texbreaker.c texbreaker_wrap.c -I/usr/include/python2.3
>
> Everything worked fine up to here.

Great! You are about half-way there ... :)

> But which URL should I write into firefox in order to now browse
> MathAction locally? I somehow fear that the webpages are not yet on
> my computer. Where is the MathAction FrontPage?
>
> Any hints?

Well, this is a quesition of a different sort... :) What you
appear to be asking is how to run the wiki software. I presume
that you did previously install Zope, right? So to start Zope
need to do

  $INSTANCE_HOME/bin/zopectl start

This starts the server process and is the way you should normally
start the server. But it might be better to start with

  $INSTANCE_HOME/bin/runzope

which runs zope as a process in your current session and gives
some useful console output. You should see some warning messages
but no error messages.

You should now be able to access the Zope management interface
from a web browser on your system via the url

  http://localhost:8080

(port 8080 is the default port for Zope)

If all is well, then you will need to use this interface to add
new "Zwiki" object called 'mathaction' with the (*) latexwiki
option checked off.

To access the FrontPage of your new 'mathaction' wiki use the
url

  http://localhost:8080/mathaction

If you get this far, then you are doing very well... If not just
ask. Either way, let me know how it goes. I think the learning
curve for Zope probably seems quite steep but really it is not
so difficult once you get used to do (almost) everything through
the web browser interface.

Later there will be some more detailed instructions for making
some additional customizations to the ZWiki page templates that
need to appear in the root folder of the mathaction wiki. But
we will get to that later.

> Another question... I have the Axiom sources from
> http://axiom-developer.org/archive/axiom. Would that be the
> same as
> "darcs get http://page.axiom-developer.org/repository/axiom";?

Yes it is the same, but this is not a probably. You should be
able to use any version of Axiom that you currently have
installed on your system.