[Axiom-developer] Axiom' integrator (was: Axiom Volume 1: Tutorial)

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Axiom' integrator (was: Axiom Volume 1: Tutorial)
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:04:58 -0500

Martin,

On January 3, 2006 6:49 AM you wrote:
>   "... Axiom's integrator gives you the answer when an answer
>   exists. If one does not, it provides a proof that there is
>   no answer."
>
> on page 2 is simply wrong. (Apart from containing a typo).

Rather than just state that there is a typo: please, please
state exactly the error and the correction. Or better yet
include a 'diff -au' patch to correct the error.

> Even if read as
>
>   ... Axiom's integrator gives you the answer when an answer
>   in terms of elementary functions exists. If one does not,
>   it provides a proof that there is no answer.
>
> it is not true. The Risch algorithm is *not* completely
> implemented in Axiom, unfortunately.

If, we can finish the implementation of this algorithm in Axiom,
then would your re-worded statement above be correct?

Of course we are really talking about "anti-derivatives", not
integration as such. Manuel Bronstein has written extensively
about this:

http://www-sop.inria.fr/cafe/Manuel.Bronstein/publications/issac98.pdf
http://www-sop.inria.fr/cafe/Manuel.Bronstein/publications

So what "elementary functions" are being considered by Axiom's
algorithm? E.g. addition, division, exponents, logarithms,
multiplication, polynomials, radicals, rationals, subtraction,
and trigonometric expressions such as suggested here:

Eric W. Weisstein. "Elementary Function." From MathWorld--A Wolfram
Web Resource. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ElementaryFunction.html

Or should we be talking about "closed forms" as in the reference:

http://arxiv.org/abs/math.NT/9805045?front